Friday 17 November 2017

The New Workshop 2...Delivery & Digging the Foundations

DELIVERY & DIGGING FOUNDATIONS





As always there were no parking spaces by my tiny Victorian terraced house ( my hobbit hole) so the enormous lorry laden with my workshop panels had to park around the corner. Luckily my large and sturdy friend , Paul was on hand to help the poor driver carry the panels to my front garden. 

Everything then had to be carried through the house (all hands on deck) and into the garden for storage.


At this point you kind of wonder how these abstract pieces of wood will ever become a proper building...

Paul also dismantled the existing shed in order to prepare a space for the new foundations. 

The old shed...

That done the foundations ( just over 7' x 13' in area) had to be dug out so that gravel could be laid in the trench. But initially we had the problem of not knowing what to do with all the soil.

I had a brainwave to build a raised bed for my herbs into which the soil could be transferred and utilised. Paul dug and slung, whilst I raked and levelled. It was backbreaking work and then it began to rain heavily..and then to get dark...we were caked in mud and totally knackered by teatime ...but we got it done :)
















I put gravel and stones on the surface of the new raised bed. I will plant herbs in it next spring




So this is the story so far:
...Trenches dug ready for the chippings and a new raised herb garden built so that we could utilise the soil from the dug area and also some of the wood from the old shed...So two jobs in one!

Not very scenic at the moment but we are getting there.




My Nephew Alex helped out :)






No comments:

Post a Comment